Information from the Aeronautical Information Publication as of June 1932
II. Level Airport Aachen
Business owner / Administrator
Flughafengesellschaft m. b. H., Aachen, Haus Grenzwacht, cable address: Flughafengesellschaft Aachen.
Airfield characteristics at daytime
The airfield is located about 9 km northeast of Aachen in the southwestern corner of the highway Weiden - Eschweiler and the railway line Höngen - Stolberg. On the black roof of the brown aircraft hangar white inscription "Aachen". Next to the hangar is a red and white observation tower, in the northeast corner from the Tegestraße is a 220 m tree gap. Yellow-white administration building. Windsock, landing signal is constantly on display. Airport border in the north by trunk road, in the east by railway embankment, tarmac border marked by red-white roof riders.
Airfield characteristics at night
No permanent night lighting, but:
A. Approach beacon
- Installation on a quadrangular lattice mast, extended to an observation tower, directly next to the dark brown aircraft hangar on the north side of the harbour. The red and white lattice mast is 12.50 m above the ground to the ridge of the roof on which the rotating beacon, 1.50 m high, is erected.
- Terrain height above sea level: 188 m.
- Identification: flashing beacon white. Flashing 0.18 s, pause 3.82 s, return 4.00 s.
- Height of fire above ground level: 14 m.
- Type of light source: Electric light bulb.
- Luminous intensity in Hefner candles: 900 000.
- Mean range of fire: 40 km.
- Operating times: 1 April to 30 September from 11 p.m. until brightness is reached; otherwise on request.
- The fire is guarded by the air police station.
- When an aircraft lands, the fire is switched off to avoid glare. There are two red warning lights on the roof of the lattice mast.
B. Warning beacons
8 red warning beacons on the buildings pp. on the north side of the airport which could be an aviation obstacle. 2 light rings each with 3 red warning beacons on the 27 m high factory chimney Merzbrück, 100 m from the north-east corner of the airport, marked as an obstacle near the airport. Operating times as for A, otherwise on request.
C. Landing lights
Landing lights of green, white and red fires in wind direction. It has to land from green over white to red to the right of the row. Landing light operating times: as for A, otherwise on request.
Runways, taxiways, aprons
Good sod on clay soil.
Shortest rolling length: 600 m in nord-south direction.
1 aircraft hangar 60 x 20 m, 9 m high, gate width 18 x 5.10 m.
Suitable for smaller repairs. Electricity: 220 Volt 25 Amp. alternating current.
3 petrol stations (Shell, Olex, Dapolin) each 5000 l, petrol, benzene and lubricants are kept in stock.
First aid in the case of accidents
Medical room with trained personnel available. Next doctor in Vorweiden (2 km away).
Customs clearance possible, passport check by air police station.
Merzbrück is equipped with a telephone.
Accommodation of passengers
At the airport in Weiden (2 km away) and in Aachen.
Shuttle service only during scheduled air traffic, otherwise taxi cabs are on call at any time.