Ludwigsburg: Army Airfield AAF (Kornwestheim Airfield, Pattonville)
For historical information only, do not use for navigation or aviation purposes!
Location Indicator: DBLD (195x), EDIR (196x-199x), EDTQ
Operator: US Army
Ludwigsburg is located 10 km north of Stuttgart.
Location of airfield
The airfield is located on the south side of the road between Kornwestheim and Aldingen, just south of Pattonville.
Use until 1945
Use during the Cold War
US Army airfield and missile site. During the 1960s a single US Army Cessna aircraft was based. Available for civil traffic since 1960. US Army helicopter stationed until 1979 (moved to Stuttgart: Airport, AAF?), thereafter used for helicopter maintenance until about 1985. Since 1992 for general aviation.
General aviation since 1992.
Data for the year 1990:
- 10/28: 671 m x 20 m Asphalt
Reconstructed by the US 1948/49. Nike (Ajax?) site on east side of airfield from about 1957 until 1960/61 (propably A Battery or HHB of 3rd Bn, 71st Arty) (concrete launcher platforms still exist - one is used today as compensation plate - and power cables can be found in the grass). The airfield and the adjacent training area had 84 ha.
View from the tower, looking east to the former beacon
Images from 2001
Airfields in the vicinity
- 323°/5km Ludwigsburg: Coffey Bks AHP
- 163°/6km Stuttgart: Funkerkaserne Helipad
- 173°/6km Stuttgart: Bad Cannstatt Hospital AHP
- 207°/6km Stuttgart: Robinson Bks AHP
- 192°/16km Stuttgart: Kelley Bks AHP
- 306°/16km Großsachsenheim
- 169°/17km Nellingen: AHP
- 217°/18km Stuttgart: Patch Bks AHP
- 181°/19km Stuttgart: Airport, AAF