The history of the Cold War airfields: Ludwigsburg by Bert Kondruss
Location of airfield
The airfield is located on the south side of the road between Kornwestheim and Aldingen, just south of Pattonville.
During World War II
During the Cold War
US Army airfield and missile site. During the 1960s a single US Army Cessna aircraft was based. Available for civil traffic since 1960. US Army helicopter stationed until 1979 (moved to Stuttgart: Airport, Army Airfield?), thereafter used for helicopter maintenance until about 1985.
Ludwigsburg Army Airfield (AAF) on a map of the US Department of Defense from 1972
Ludwigsburg Army Airfield AAF on a US satellite image from 03 July 1977 (Source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Data for the year 1990:
10/28: 671 m x 20 m Asphalt
Reconstructed by the US 1948/49. Nike (Ajax?) site on east side of airfield from about 1957 until 1960/61 (propably A Battery or HHB of 3rd Bn, 71st Arty) (concrete launcher platforms still exist - one is used today as compensation plate - and power cables can be found in the grass). The airfield and the adjacent training area had 84 ha.
General aviation since 1992.
Images from 2001
View from the tower, looking east to the former beacon