Order No. 93 of the Soviet Military Administration of Brandenburg dated 21 May 1947 to expand Schoenefeld Airport.
1. Extension of the concrete runway and landing strip by 1,100 meters so that the total length of the strip will be brought to 2,000 meters, and the construction of a taxiway from the end of the runway to the aircraft parking site.
2. Lighting facilities for a take-off and landing strip required for night take-offs.
3. Leveling work on the site to be added to the field.
4. Construction of a radio transmitter and a DF station.
5. Enclosure of the airfield..
6. Construction of approach roads.
7. Reconstruction, re-equipment and repair of the buildings serving passenger traffic, of the hotel, restaurant, clubhouse, and of 120 housing units.
8. Clearing of the airfield area of debris after completion of the dismantling of objects.
9. Completion of projected work.
Agricultural land belonging to the communities of Diepensee and Schoenefeld was expropriated for the airport. Lieutenant Colonel Stolyarov has been appointed director of the airport.
Observations in October 1947
a. ... All activity has been transfered from Adlershof
to Schönefeld and the former field has been dismantled for the most part, although it is still being used by U-2 courier aircraft.
b. The field's chief entrance is at its southern extremity and is reached through Diepensee, where there is a Soviet control point. A sign at this entrance reads "Aeroport Berlin". Signs posted along the footpath between Diepensee and Waltersdorf read: "Trespassing forbidden under penalty of law and 500 marks fine. Soviet Army Unit No. 68061."
c. The field is grass covered, the ground is hard. The concrete runway, running southwest to northeast, is sixty meters wide and approximately 800 meters long. Apparently the runway is being extended by 100 to 150 meters as part of the improvements being made in the northwest area of the field.
d. The field contains a control tower, two hangars, a small building with direction finding equipment, and a radio station with two masts, each approximately thirty meters high.
e. The Siemens-Bauunion is reconstructing various buildings. FInal dismantling operations on the Henschel plant are controlled by the "Sonderbaubüro IV für Bauten der sowjetischen Besatzungsarmee bei der Stadtverwaltung Potsdam".
f. The field appears to be used at the moment only for transportation and mail services. Five PS-84 aircraft observed on 26 July bore camouflage paint minus the usual Soviet star; left side of fuselages and upper left side of wings were marked СССР; right side of fuselages and wings were marked Л 4076.
Observations in November 1947
During the past month the Russian airfield at Schoenefeld (Z93) has undergone extensive enlargements, reportedly in connection with the recent increase in the amount of air traffic between Berlin and Moscow. This increase is due to the fact that the Russian-operated air lines, which formerly confined themselves almost exclusively to passenger service, are now carrying large amounts of freight, particularly watches, light metal products, and optical instruments, produced in the Russian Zone. The change-over, which has occasioned an almost six-fold expansion in flight capacity, was necessitated by the looting and robbery of Russian freight trains and trucks in Polish territory.
Observations in August 1948
a. Except for the arrival of one transport, whose civilian and military passengers went to Berlin, there was no air traffic at Schönefeld airfield on 30 August. Four other transports were seen on the field, and there were eighteen tank cars on the railroad siding.
b. Two hangars and an operations tower are working. Field buildings on the Diepensee farm are being repaired, but former barracks near the airport are not in use.
c. The grass runway is in good shape. A concrete runway, running northeast-southwest, 30-40 meters wide and 1.8 to 2 kilometers long, has been finished; and a field ring is nearing completion.
d. There is a signal sender off the runway at the southwest end of the field. Behind the hangars are two radio stations, one fixed and one mobile.
e. A wire fence encloses the southern and northeastern side of the field; otherwise there are only signs against trespassing.
f. The Schönefeld-Diepensee road has been obliterated by the extension of airfield boundaries. A rail line is being laid down on the old main approach from the Rudow-Waltersdorf highway and a new street is being set out parallel to it.
Comment: Schönefeld flying hazards are represented by a large chimney still standing on the field and, possibly, the radio masts at Königs Wusterhausen.
Hay shipment in March 1949
It was learned early in July 1949 that the unit ... stationed at the Schoenefeld airfield, had requested a shipment of hay from the Rangsdorf (N 53/Z 82) supply office in March 1949.
Aircraft movements in June 1949
1. A four-engine plane ..., coming from the east landed at the Schoenefeld (N 53/Z 93) airfield about 5:00 p.m. on 7 June 1949. The plane was similar to the American Skymaster and was equipped with dual wheels and nose wheel ...
2. The plane was not at the field on 9 June 1949.
Comment: The plane mentioned probably was an Il-18. ... the plane was assigned to the "Aeroflot" Airlines. It is not known what route this plane was flying.
The two transport aircraft which formerly landed at the Schoenefeld (N 53/Z 93) airfield every evening did not arrive on 19 and 20 June 1949. * One four-engine plane of the same type as observed on 7 June 1949 landed on 21 June 1949. ** Quartering buildings at the airfield were still being improved.
* Comment: Since the exact landing times of the two transport aircraft which previously landed at the field every night, were not stated, it cannot be determined to which airlines these planes were assigned.
** Comment: According to the description given in a previous report, the four-engine plane which landed at the field on 21 June 1949, is an Il-18. The airline flown by this type is unknown ...
Aircraft movements in August 1949
16 August 1949: A biplane took off at 9 am and a twin-engine biplane landed there at 12.45 pm.
The scheduled DC-3 arrived at 5:30 pm. Three other twin-eninge transport aircraft landed in succession about 11 pm.
17 August 1949: A single-engine plane landed at 1:35 pm. There was no other flying. A truck ... and a passenger car ... were observed.
No aircraft or soldiers were seen at the field. The hangars were closed.
18 August 1949: A biplane circled the field from late evening until after midnight. Red and green signals were fired from the biplane. Soon afterwards the report of a heavy gun was heard from the east.
19 August 1949: Three twin-engine aircraft took off from the field and headed east at 7:45 am. The lower sides of the planes were painted light blue, the upper sides dark green.
Construction work on the hangars and field buildings was still in progress.
Comment: Report shows that no air unit is located at the SCHOENEFELD airfield, which is used only by commercial aircraft and transport aircraft. The construction work at the northern section of the airfield is apperently not yet completed.
22 August 1949: Two Dakota type aircraft landed about 4 pm. One of these planes carried the number 4243. The construction work at the field continued.
25 August 1949: Seven commercial aircraft landed at the field in the morning. According to the porter at the field, Soviet delegations to attend the Goethe festivals in Germany had arrived in these planes. No air unit was stationed at the field.
Observations in September 1949
19 September 1949: Seven twin-engine transport aircraft were parked on the south-western edge of the airfield. Another plane of the same type with silver paint and a light blue stripe on the rudder assembly landed at 12:15 pm. Motor vehicles ... were observed. Construction work was still being done. The field was guared by the "People's police".
28 September 1949: Four twin-engine transport planes, presumably DC-3s, were parked near the two hangars on the southern edge of the airfield. ... Construction work was being done on the spur track.
Observations in November 1949
15 November 1949: Two passenger planes, probably DC-3s, landed at the field.
17 November 1949: A passenger plane of the same type ... landed at the field.
18 November 1949: No aircraft, Soviet Air Force soldier or military motor vehicles were observed at the airfield in the afternoon. The field was guarded by sentries and patrols of the Soviet Zone German police.
Some railroad tank cars were standing near the fuel dump on the southern edge of the field. A radio station stood beside the buildings on the southern edge (for antenna system see sketch 1). Another radio station stood north of the east end of the concrete runway (see sketch 2). A set of lamps was seen at the extension of the runway to the east. Boundary lights were ... available... Railroad spur track led to the buildings on the northwest edge. Signboards to the field had inscriptions such as "Airfield" and "To Intourist Hotel".
A twin-eninge passenger plane ... landed at and took off from the field between 21 and 27 November 1949.
Four or five of the described twin-engine passenger planes were parked in the hangar on the southern edge. The planes often made local flights, probably in connection with instrument approach flights, between 6 pm and midnight, sometimes in very hazy weather.
Colonel SKRIPNIK was the CO of the field. Soviet officers, some of them pilots with their dependants, were quartered in the dwelling houses at the field.
There were boundary lights on the eastern and western edges of the field in line with the runway. Obstacle lights were on the neighboring buildings. There was a DF station about 1,600 feet west of the runway surrounded by four radio masts which were interconnected by antenna wires. Another radio station was stood the flight control station. The entire airfield was serviceable for night flights and instruments landings.
It was rumored that the quarters at the field, now occupied by Soviet dependents, were soon to be used by air force troops.
Comment: The report confirms the previous assumption that the field is used by civilian airlines. No air unit was stationed there. Colonel SKRIPNIK, reportedly CO of the field, is possibly Maj SKRIPNIK, CO of the Alt Lönnewitz
345th ATB (formerly 67th ATB) (Avio Technical Battalion) from 1946 to 1948.
Sketch of the radio station observed beside the buildings on the southern egde of the field - Source: CIA
Sketch of the radio station north of the east end of the concrete runway. - Source: CIA
Observations in December 1949
09 December 1949: No aircraft were parked outside the hangars. As it rained heavily the boundary lights, the runway lights and the row of lamps along the eastern expansion of the runway were switched on at 03:18 pm.
A twin-engine DC-3 with a vertical black stripe on the rudder assembly and a black marking on the nose glided in from the east and landed at the field at 03:20 pm. After it had been towed to the northern edge of the field at 03:25 pm, the lights were switched off again.
Railroad tank cars were near the fuel dump on the southern edge of the field.
There was intensive motor vehicle traffic between the field buildings.
The red obstacle lights were on in the evening. A beacon light in the approach flying lane, east of the mentioned row of lamps flashed alternately a dash and four points.