Rothwesten: Gunpost Army Heliport
For historical information only, do not use for navigation or aviation purposes!
Cold War Airfields: Rothwesten
by Bert Kondruss
Coordinates: N512459 E0093027 ca. (WGS84)
Elevation: 1018 ft
Operator: US Army
Federal State of Hessen (Hesse).
The "Gunpost" radar site was located about 3 km north-northwest of Rothwesten, today belonging to the community of Immenhausen.
Location of airfield
According to documents from the 1960/70s, the heliport was located east of the radar site. The exact location is unknown.
Use during the Cold War
US Army helipad at "Gunpost" radar and direction finding site.
Direction finder for aircraft in the southern corridor to Berlin: 120.5, 121.5 (1958).
Heliport: FM 33.7 on request (1968).
Airspace and Procedures
Approach and departure directions at pilot's discretions. Traffic pattern east.
Antennas 150 ft west. Vehicles and personnel near the landing area (1971).
Airfields in the vicinity
- 147°/4km Rothwesten: Airfield
- 183°/6km Fuldatal: Federal Police Heliport
- 273°/8km Calden: Kassel Airport
- 190°/9km Kassel: Industrial Park Helipad
- 193°/9km Kassel: Car Factory Helipad
- 264°/9km Calden: Kassel Airfield
- 081°/10km Hann. Münden: Police School Helipad
- 126°/10km Staufenberg: Airfield
- 179°/10km Kassel: Klinikum Hospital Helipad (Roof)
- 179°/10km Kassel: Klinikum Hospital Helipad (North)
- 180°/10km Kassel: Klinikum Hospital Helipad (Southwest)
- 101°/11km Hann. Münden: Hospital Helipad
- 198°/12km Kassel: Rescue Helicopter Helipad
- 244°/13km Zierenberg: Dörnberg Airfield/Glider Site
- 313°/13km Hofgeismar: Hospital Helipad
- 184°/14km Kassel: Fair Helipad
- 180°/15km Kassel: Waldau Airfield
- 327°/16km Hümme: Der Dingel Airfield
- 195°/19km Baunatal: Car Factory Helipad